About Us

My photo
Spain
Now living in l'Olleria, south of Valencia

Wednesday 13 August 2008

Boot It

Well, I went to my first ever car boot sale on Sunday. Technically, it was a market (at Pedreuger) but people are allowed to set up their own stalls. I had lots of things to get rid of, and this was much better than just throwing them away.

I had been warned, that when we got there, the stall would be high-jacked, while we tried to set up. I went with some friends (Wood, Maz, their two boys and Dolly) as this was not Ed’s cup of tea at all. He stayed home and spent some time building the garden wall again. Setting up was a nightmare, we were inundated with people trying to grab anything worthwhile, so that they could sell it on. I had priced up most things, but it was still very hectic, trying to haggle in a foreign language.

I had a few minor things stolen, such as bottles of perfume, but this was only things that were valued at less than £1 or so anyway. It still made me cross, that people are so dishonest.

I did quite well really, as much of the stuff I wanted to sell was quite nice. The funniest sale, was a fake ‘Gucci’ watch, that brother John had brought me in Tenerife about 20 years ago. He paid about £2 for it all that time ago. The strap was always a little tight, so I rarely wore it. The battery was flat, but it did work ok. I made it look lovely, by putting it in a nice presentation box, and I got €10 for it, with no haggling. I think the buyer thought it was the real thing! (I told John, and he thought it was very funny)

It was a fun day out, and I need to do it again at some point, but not for a while. It was a very hot day and, combined with the early start, I was very tired by the time I got home. I even had a nap, before we went out in the evening!

No comments: