About Us

My photo
Spain
Now living in l'Olleria, south of Valencia

Wednesday 13 August 2008

Meteor Shower

Apparently in mid-August every year, there is a meteor shower, emanating from a system called Perseid. The meteors pass through the remnants of a comet as they pass the earth, and as a result, we have spectacular falling stars for several weeks.

I understood enough of the Spanish news to figure this out, but sadly, that night, we had a bank of cloud blow in, so nothing could be seen. I looked it up on the web, and realised that actually, this phenomenon lasts for up to several weeks, so the next night, Ed and I sat out again, star gazing. This time, we spotted lots of man made satellites and several falling stars.

Ironically, on this night, I happened to wake up at around 3am, so I crept outside and lay on the sunloungers again! This time, I saw several significant shooting stars, with really long tails, and also lots of quicker, shorter ones. I didn’t manage to catch one and put it in my pocket, but there is certainly a chance that at least some of my wishes might come true!


http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/perseid-meteor-showe-2482/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids

No comments: