About Us

My photo
Spain
Now living in l'Olleria, south of Valencia

Wednesday 29 April 2009

Attack of the Killer Bees

I was playing merrily away on the laptop the other day, when a bee passed by, trying to get out of the office window. He couldn't as there is a fly screen on it. I felt a bit sorry for him, as he was a little worker bee, but I just left him wandering around on the screen. About 1/2 hour later, there were 5 or 6 more bees ambling by. Very odd. I decided to go and investigate what was happening.

To my absolute horror, there were bees all over the place. Lots in the sitting room, bathroom and spare bedroom (thankfully none in our bedroom as the door was almost closed). They were coming in through the open window in the spare room and back door. But, they could not find a way out. The bathroom only has glass bricks for light and no open casing.

I was terrified. I knew that if you are stung by a bee, it emits a 'danger' pheramone and then other bees come to investigate and sting too. There was no way I could afford for even one of these to get upset. I had to ring Ed in England and ask him what to do for the best. In fear, I entered the spare room and closed the window, and shut the back door. I took a can of insectecide and sprayed the bathroom and spare room. There were about 100 of them. Ed thought that the queen might have come in and the others followed, but I couldn't spot one wearing a crown.

After 10 minutes or so, I had to spray the spare room again, as they were still buzzing around. The really scarey part, was that there were still lots of bees outside, bashing against the window trying to get in. For the next few hours I could hear them tapping on the glass of the door.

Even the next day, there were few still trying to get in. I can only assume that they were so taken by my beautiful home, that they wanted to share it with me!

No comments: