About Us

My photo
Spain
Now living in l'Olleria, south of Valencia

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Driving Over Lemons

It's true, that lemons grow everywhere in Spain, but not that many of them lay in streets to be driven over! (read the book!)

We did have a lemon tree, but it was less than sucessful. Ed has admitted to hitting the trunk a few times with the strimmer, so that won't have helped it much. In the end, we dug it out, but I do plan to have another one in a different spot in the autumn.

In the meantime, lots of friends have lemons, and they are cheap enough in the supermarket for a bagful anyway.


I decided to make a lemon meringue pie. I'd never made one before, but I love sweets with a bite, so it was worth a go. The big dilema of course, is, if I make it, then I have to eat it. Not such a good idea. So, I decided to make it for a Sunday, and take it to our Spanish friends for tea, so I only needed to eat one bit! (Cunning plan eh?)

First problem - no loose bottomed flan tin. Ah well - a pretty earthenware one would have to do.
Second problem - no baking beans to bake the pastry blind. A quick look on the internet informed me that rice would do fine.
Third problem - no granulated sugar for the meringue. Since when have a few problems stopped me from doing anything?

So, off I went. Mixing, baking, grating, boiling, whisking and baking (again). And the result was spectacular. Beautiful, fluffy, tall, lemon meringue pie. Wow. Time to depart. I popped the cake on the passenger seat for a moment, and went to fetch something else. When I got back to the car, I discovered that the sugar (granulated) had seeped from the meringue, and dribbled all over the car seat. I grabbed some towels, and sat on them for the journey, then had to apologise for he mess when I arrived, with a sticky messy pie!

All was forgiven when we ate it.



I now have some caster sugar and a loose bottomed tin (thanks Mum), and will give it another shot later in the year. Yum.

No comments: